Certification Process & Routes
Step 1 - Program Screening and Application Process
Texas Administrative Code Chapter 227 outlines mandated Admission requirements for Alternative certification programs.
All candidates will need to:
- Complete program application - Download one here.
- Schedule your visit with our program directors! Call today or email your request.
- At the appointment you will need to:
- Bring official transcripts - It should have the degree conferred date from an accredited institute. We can work with unofficial transcripts to get you started. You will need a 2.5 overall GPA or 2.5 in your last 60 hours. Our program will evaluate your transcripts and counsel you regarding the options that you have to enter the classroom. We want to let you know all of your options so you can make an informed decision.
- Watch a brief video (9 minutes) that outlines all program components. Our staff is there to answer any questions that you may have.
- Take the critical thinking test - This test just gives us information about your test taking skills - there is no failing score - only information to help you make an informed decision!
- Demonstrate competence in oral communication as per interview.
- Demonstrate content mastery -
- Candidates must have a minimum of 12 hours of the specific content on the college transcript.... OR
- Candidates must pass the TExES exam in the desired field.
- Although current Texas Administrative Code states that a candidate only needs 12 hours in the content area, candidates will need 24 hours to be considered Highly Qualified according to NCLB. The more hours of content on your transcript, the stronger candidate you are.
Example: If you want to teach math or science, our program will look for a minimum of 12 hours on your transcripts to meet admission criteria.
If you do not have 12 hours, you may gain admittance by passing the content TExES exam.
Click here to sign up to take a content exam. Once you have passing scores on any content test, you have demonstrated content mastery and are eligible for program admission.
Once all program requirements have been met, you will decide if you want to join our program. Only then will you pay your application fee.
Step 2 - Candidacy
- You will need to complete our Institute during the next available session.
- Classes are face to face in small group with some online components.
- You will also need to complete the state mandated 30 hours of field based experiences. These activities include: substitute teaching, volunteering, observations, tutoring and viewing approved instructional videos.
- Pass your Content TExES exam.
REMINDER: Our program offers test reviews and tutorials AT NO ADDITIONAL COST to our candidates. Click here for more information.
Step 3 - Two Semester Teaching Internship or Clinical Teaching
- Once you secure a teaching position, you will earn a full time salary paid by the employing school district.
- Your internship fee will be set up through monthly automatic bank drafts
- At the end of your first year, and you have successfully met all the program requirements, you will be recommended for your standard certificate and considered a fully certified teacher!
- Pay required fee with the clinical teaching application.
- Complete 14 weeks in clinical teaching assignment.
- At the end of 14 weeks, if you have met all the program requirements, you will be recommended for your standard certificate and considered a fully certified teacher.
Download an Application
Steps to Certification